What is more important to you - Gameplay or Story?

I am curious because it seems like people are kind of mixed with this. Like for me, if a game plays flawlessly and the controls are great, I can have fun with it even if the story is not great but if the story is perfect and the general gameplay is not fun or just functions like a brick sinking in a lake, then I can’t play it.

I never really been invested in the story of a game. If it happens to be good, then great but a lot of games I just skip through the story if I have the option. I play more for the gameplay in that regard.

1 Like

Really depends on the genre of game, or the objective. Very few games i can legitimately say get me involved in the story.

1 Like

It’s very situational. But when push comes to shove, gameplay is more important with video games. After all, not much story in classics like Pac-man, Super Mario Bros., Space Invaders, etc.

Just look at most of the Hall of Fame inductees and this year’s nominees and you’ll get my drift.

1 Like

Stories in older games held more weight imo. I don’t tend to care so much with newer titles and focus more on gameplay. It is a shame though because I do enjoy a good story with some stellar gameplay but it seems like you have to pick one or the other these days.

2 Likes

The story plays a huge role in an overall score for me personally. I can enjoy a game with a bad story if the gameplay is right but I do prefer them to have good stories if it is the kind of game that presents one. I loved the earlier games of Assasin’s Creed for this reason and while I enjoyed the gameplay, once the stories started becoming just stupid, I stopped playing the games.

2 Likes

In that regard, I agree. A bad story (and bad storytelling in execution) can make a player lose interest. However, this is mostly for those games that require at least a modicum of immersion (RPGs and Adventure games, for the most part).

1 Like

I need some kind of decent story to keep me invested. This pertains to only a fraction of the kinds of games I play though. Plenty of them have minimal story and great gameplay so it is all good to me. I don’t play many games that are heavily reliant on story. A good example of a game that is are the MGS games. You need to really enjoy the story to enjoy the game because there is so much dialog.

2 Likes

Those kinds of games are not for me. I don’t like to sit through cut scene after cut scene. I prefer them to be short as possible or to be blended into the gameplay itself so I am almost always doing something.

1 Like

Both are important but this depends on the game and the general context/genre.

Like I would say 90% of the time though, gameplay is more important for me.

1 Like

I did notice a trend with a lot of games just over the last 10 years or so where you actually play through cutscenes. You will be controlling your character while they are talking with someone so you have something to do while it is happening.

1 Like

I think both are important. Like if the story sucks, I won’t have a reason to find out what happens and will lose interest. If the game play sucks, then I will not care about the story. It is a double-edged sword. For me to like a game it has to have a decent story and great gameplay or a great story and decent gameplay at the very least or I am not interested.

1 Like