Toys R Us is opening again?

I don’t know if this is the case where you guys live but apparently, there is going to be a new Toys R Us opening near me. I was shocked when I heard about this cause I thought the place had shut down permanently. Did I miss something?

They never actually closed. They just moved to online-only sales. They have a few novelty stores that did remain open but from what I heard, the stores they will be opening will be smaller-scaled stores that will be in places like malls, airports, and high-traffic shopping plazas.

1 Like

My friend was a manager for the longest time at the Toys R Us by us. It was “closing” for almost 3 years and then it finally did. This was in 2019 and they still have the name above the building and nothing has been done with it. Maybe they will bring it back.

I don’t think they will turn things around. After COVID, I think more people are willing to be online shoppers than ever before. Even my parents who never bought things online are buying everything online they can these days.

The whole store thing was intended to be rented space from toy brands to act as an interactive showcase with a much smaller floor plan than the old department stores.

Even in the stores they had a heavy focus on touchscreens and home delivery.

on an unrelated note, COVID pretty much killed off most of the small business shops in the city here, leaving mostly the big box stores that people go to when Amazon isn’t a fast enough option.

1 Like

Nuts to think they are going to try again.

I feel like this will not end well. The big stores have too much coverage and control. I try to support local places and smaller chain stores when possible because I know Amazon, Walmart, and the like will be just fine without my business.

1 Like

iirc, they’re working with Amazon to handle distribution. If you go onto the Toys R Us website, most of their product catalogue just gives you a redirect to Amazon listings.

Confirmed: Amazon partners with Toys R Us in new toy ecommerce deal

2 Likes

Oh damn! They sold out to the Amazon overlords!!! LOL

I have a feeling this is just going to keep happening. Man, fuq Jeff Bezos. The dude got to where he is with tax fraud and market manipulation.

Not exactly, more like a zombie brand trying to be resurrected by any means possible, at least in the US domestic market. Toys R Us as a brand has still been kicking in other markets.

2 Likes

I have fond memories of Toys R Us and I am all for it surviving. I think the experience of being able to take your kid to a store just for kids is great. I would hate to see it fizzle out.

You learn something new every day. I mean yeah I am happy, I would like to take my kids (when I have them) to the store like when I was younger and my dad took me and my brother and sister.

1 Like

We have a toys r us building that is still just sitting there. I think the store was closed back in 2015. Nothing has been done with it. The sign is still on it and everything but to be fair, we also have an entire mall that has been shut down since 2009 with nothing being changed to it either.

1 Like

Yeah, it took years for our local mall to finally find tenants to take up just the smaller leases around the old toys r us. Even then, the only tenant who took up that space temporarily was Spirit Halloween.

2 Likes

We have that too. An old Toys R Us is Spirit Halloween for 2 months out of the year and it gets rented out for other events like local craft fairs and stuff.

1 Like

Ah yeah, that makes sense. I misunderstood what you meant. I guess they would try every means to keep functioning especially because a lot of money is riding on it.

1 Like

Good for them, I guess. I mean I feel like offline shopping is being replaced by online shopping for a lot of reasons. I personally would rather order stuff online vs going out, waiting in line, and having to deal with people being arseholes.

1 Like

Yeah I am happy for them too but I also get the feeling this won’t work outside of being smaller stores unless they function like Amazon warehouses where most of the “store” is closed off and functions primarily for shipping goods.

Yikes!!!

1 Like