The backlash worked, I guess?

So the new Harry Potter game, Hogwarts legacy will allow trans characters in-game. This is the result of people getting mad at the author for being “transphobic”. The reason I am putting that in quotations is that I agreed firmly with what she said. Her issue was with male-born girls/women competing in female sports which greatly hurts women. I have a sister who has been involved in sports all her life and I am against this myself. It just isn’t fair to female-born women. Outside of this, trans people want to be treated as if they were born how they identify, not “trans this” or “trans that” so this move makes no sense. If they want to play as a male or a female, they could have done so in the game already.

That being said, this is a win for them, I guess? I don’t know. I don’t follow the series anymore and don’t care about the game anyway.

You’re a tranny, Harry!

I am sorry, I had to get that out. lol Jokes aside (not trying to offend anyone), I think you have a point. One of my friends has a trans woman in his family. I think she is a cousin or something. I only met her a few times but she went through with everything and outside of the actual transitioning topic, she just wants to be accepted as a woman so making “trans characters” seems like a backward approach.

Like if you are trans, that means you are transitioning. You can’t be trans and be doing nothing. The whole point of the “label” or term is meant to be part of a transitioning period which most trans people I have talked to don’t like to talk about once the process is over.

Puts on Community Manager Hat:
This is a sensitive topic that can ruffle feathers, so please be respectful and keep things civil. And as much as possible, avoid using potentially offensive language directed at certain demographics. Keep it clean, and no hitting below the belt.

Takes off Community Manager Hat:
I’m all for transgender rights. Their body, their lives, their choice. With that said, the male body is simply built to handle and deliver more force. That’s nature. Putting one that has natural advantage in competitions is inherently wrong IMHO. Now, feminists may argue that’s not the case (“anything men can do, we can do better” sort of thing). BUT genetics, muscle and bone development, and basically Mother Nature will tend to disagree.

Regardless, there has to be some restrictions made in terms of actual physical competition.

With that said, if they want to include an option in games to specifically identify that they are transgender (men or women) for flavor or context, I don’t see that as a problem. In the same case with RPGs, where it specifically states choosing gender has no effect on stats, game performance and such, it’s all good.

2 Likes

The motive for adding trans characters is wrong imo. Like I don’t care what games have this as an option, it doesn’t bother me at all nor have any impact on my life but when a game does it just to justify something having happened, it seems shallow. Like yeah, this is good news for the fans but would it have ever happened had what’s her face not said anything?

1 Like

I am sorry if I caused any issues with this thread. I know it is a sensitive topic and one not many people feel comfortable with because things can be taken the wrong way or some people can get real nasty about things. This thread can be closed if you prefer to prevent anything from getting out of hand.

3 Likes

If they’re offended (and go berserk / dox / cancel someone) about rather civil talk, then they’ve got issues. just saying.

Haven’t followed the series either for a long time, since much of hollywood has turned into a cesspit of reboots and remasters that dull down old work in the name of not offending people.

2 Likes

That is one of the issues I have with a lot of franchises these days. Everyone is afraid of offending someone so it holds back stories and characters. It actually ends up hurting characters that would otherwise be propped up in a good way too.

1 Like

It’s fine. As long as the conversation does not degenerate into anything below the belt, it’s all good. We encourage intellectual debate and discussion in these kinds of matters.

And if things get out of hand, I have the Banhammer at the ready. :grin:

3 Likes

They’re looking at it from more of a business perspective. There are very loud groups that can affect the bottom line if they point fingers of elitism, exclusion, bigotry, etc. and there’s enough evidence to support that claim. It’s gone overboard in this era, but it is what it is.

That is the shame of a lot of this. Like can’t we just let gaming devs decide to include things like this on their own? It almost feels forced when it isn’t out of the choice of the creators.

2 Likes

I don’t care what people choose to do with their games. I also won’t bend over backward to be considered “PC”. This is not to say I will treat people who are not like me differently. We are all human. Some of us are just more annoying than others.

3 Likes

Don’t make a girl a promise you know you can’t keep. :smirk:

In other words, please don’t turn into ReeeSet Era…

2 Likes

Must have overlooked this thread. I didn’t even know they were still making Harry Potter games if I am being completely honest here lol

As for the actual topic, yeah I really don’t care if they want to make it an option. Doesn’t affect me.

1 Like

I think this is a fair outlook on everything. Like I don’t want to be mean or judgmental but I also don’t want to let people walk all over me for having different feelings on something. Some stuff just crosses the line from a moral standpoint. With games, there really is no moral compass and it isn’t true to life so adding these characters is whatever.

2 Likes

Exactly. Video games are a form of art at the end of the day and what people want to do with their game is up to them. They will alter and change things according to sales.

1 Like