Steam Remote Play Together

I forgot they were doing this so I have yet to actually try it out. Has anyone here made use of it yet? I believe it is still in beta and they are working out the issues and optimizing it for user experiences right now.

Here is a bit on it from PC Gamer:

If you’re not familiar, Remote Play Together is a feature on Steam that lets you bring others into local multiplayer and hotseat games even if they’re not physically present. It’s a godsend for lots of games, especially those hardcore local multiplayer games that are hard to get four people in once place for, or for hotseat on wargames, where multiplayer service is rudimentary or limited.

We’re of the opinion that Remote Play Together is one of Steam’s best features. The ability to turn a local multiplayer game into an online multiplayer game is powerful—and now you can do it with friends and/or grandparents whose 15 year old potato PC can barely run Steam.

2 Likes

I haven’t, but I might with my older rigs. Steam’s gotten piss-poor with the bugs and connection issues lately, though.

3 Likes

^ I second that. I have not played much of anything on Steam lately because of connection issues. I keep going on and offline even though my internet connection is perfectly fine. I also have game crashes now out of nowhere when I never had this issue with these games before.

3 Likes

Steam becoming a lazy corporate entity is one of the reasons we’re rebuilding Xfire and the upcoming app. As Xfire.com is run by gamers again, we all see the need for a reliable social and tracking application that isn’t causing headaches for its user base.

2 Likes

Steam is a hot mess these days and I don’t know what happened. I guess they are more focused on money than being a source for gamers which is sad. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I am glad places like this are an option. It sucks trying to play games with friends through Steam.

2 Likes

I play few games for some steam badge and it is good work

1 Like

While I haven’t noticed any major issues on steam myself, I would imagine bringing something like this in is bound to have a lot of people complaining. I mean I see more complaints about steam these days than actual praises. A lot of people play on other platforms now.

1 Like

This sounds like something that can be very useful for me but I am not going to hold my breath. I remember when they changed the friends thing on Steam and everything got botched. I had issues with it for a long time. I still do with certain games.

1 Like

I likely won’t bother with it so I am hoping they don’t make it part of the platform where it is not optional. I use Discord when playing with friends.

1 Like

There is a good chance it comes with its fair share of issues and while I likely won’t use it myself, I still hope it works out because I know it can help people enjoy games together easier.

2 Likes