Retro or Current Gen Gamer?

We see a lot of retrogamers in the Xfire community. But is that strictly the case?

Let us know whether you see yourself more as a retrogamer or current/next gen player! And let us know what games you play regularly!

1 Like

No, just people like xFire a lot, and but just in my opinion xFire is better than any other client for the gaming community, my games are CoD4 and one friend time invite me to i join steam but I stay on xFire and be really, really sad cus xFire is closed. Closing xFire is been for me like a punch in my face, a very hard time for my age and my gaming experience. Most of this player who is here and uses xFire are old now too much for games same like me. Playing with xFire is for me best ever experience in life and I am really sad cus I dont have more happiness in my life for game-like with xFire.

1 Like

That’s a huge part of the reason we’re rebuilding. What happened in the past with Titan Gaming… well, that’s water under the bridge. Setting what the future holds, for both retro and current gen gaming, that’s what we’re working hard to make happen.

1 Like

I do both. I mean current-gen games I don’t play as often. I think the reason is that not many current games impress me or interest me. I still love me some old school DOOM and other titles from the '90s.

1 Like

I play more modern games than retro I would say. I don’t play as often in general though as I did like 10 years ago. Times change ya know. I have to worry about work, kids, bills, blah blah so my free time for gaming is limited. That and I have yet to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X because I can’t find one in stock anywhere.

1 Like

Love me some classic DOOM. But nowadays, can’t play for more than an hour before motion sickness sets in. Not even with newer FPS. The visceral thrill is great for getting your frustrations out, though. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah. Unfortunately, us plebs will have to wait until mid-2021 or later for the stocks in retailer inventories to catch up.

Outside of games on PC, I play mostly retro. Partly because I don’t have the option to play newer games (stock of new consoles not being stocked and all) or I simply can’t afford to pay full cost of games anymore. I have to watch my spending so unless a game is really worth it, I can’t bring myself to spend $60+ on something.

A bit of this, a bit of that. I am more likely to play indie PC games these days vs AAA titles that are new or considered retro. I just don’t have as much time to enjoy gaming these days.

I don’t often go back and play older games, not unless I really enjoyed them. I tend to play what is more current. I don’t like as many games these days which is sad.

1 Like

Oh I know that! It is tough because I get this with a lot of older games. They looked better on those old box TVs and with HD screens, it just intensifies everything. Once I play it for a while, like enough times a week, then I can adjust but I have had my share of killer migraines. DOOM is worth it though.

1 Like

there were a lot of games that were built around CRTs often used hacks and quirks of how they worked.

Like, Spyro and Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage which look like a dithered mess on flat panels, but look just fine on CRT…

2 Likes

I play more retro games than current ones and the main reason being is that most newer games don’t appeal to me. I have had a few years in recent time where I didn’t get any new AAA title games for the whole year because nothing interested me.

1 Like

I prefer the 1995 to 2005 era of gaming where things were changing so much but the stories of the games were so good. Like it was hard to find a terrible game. These days, you can walk out your front door and be hit in the face with one. They are everywhere. The bar has been lowered too low so I have a preference for retro gaming.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Indie explosion is a double edged sword. There’s more room for both great and crappy games, but because it’s easier to make crappy games, there’s a metric ton of that than the former.

2 Likes

I like both. I really can’t say I have a preference. I can enjoy current games just as much as retro ones and vice versa.

That is true though about indie games. Like looking on Stream for something new to play that isn’t from a big dev company takes hours of fishing through crappy games.

1 Like

Eh, at least now it’s less likely that bad games are going to murder an entire sector of gaming.

Then again, it seems like casual players and brand loyalists will put up with nearly anything to avoid FOMO.

2 Likes

I know a few guys who continue to play the same few yearly release games yet complain every single year about the quality, the bugs, and the lack of specific features they were expecting… Yet they keep playing the same games. I mean if you are not willing to branch out more, stop complaining lol

1 Like

I prefer modern consoles/PCs but enjoy retro games more, if that makes sense. Like I would rather play side-scroller type games today (ones that are new) vs playing old ones because the quality didn’t age well.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s understandable. Sega CD/32X games function and control more smoothly with today’s tech, for instance.