Journalism mode?

This is something I only just heard about. I guess a lot of AAA title games these days have a “journalism mode” for people who plan on writing reviews for the games. Many of which, don’t even require you to play the game. So you end up reviewing a game that you don’t actually play. That seems a bit weird to me. Did anyone hear of this before?

Some are more guilty than others. I know in LOU2, this mode was something people were made about because you legit didn’t have to play much of anything and the game auto-completed for the “journalist”. It makes me wonder why/how it got so many 10/10 reviews because most people I know wouldn’t give it more than a 7.

2 Likes

I only ever heard of a few games doing this where you don’t play at all. There were others that have an ultra-easy mode though where it holds your hand the entire time. Why not just hire actual gamers to test them and write about them??

1 Like

I feel like this is something that is not as wide-spread as people think. I have heard of it but it is relatively new and I think it was used as a means to allow people who write for companies to play through the game easily in one to three sittings so no time is wasted and they can get the reviews done in time.

2 Likes

^This

People like to take some stupid aspect of a game and make it sound like as if every gaming company does this. Most of the time, you are given a free copy to play and review. There are no special settings. There are some that have it but there are not many.

1 Like

I think it is BS though even if it is only in a few games. If you can’t play the game on normal then you should not be reviewing it. Get real gamers to give us real reviews again. This is why I stopped following most gaming news outlets. They are in it for the money, not the actual gaming community.

1 Like

It is true but not heavily. Like others have mentioned, it is only an option in some games. This is why I don’t take reviews seriously anymore. I just wait until I either play the game for myself or until I get feedback from real players.

1 Like

Oh okay, so it is a thing but not in every game. Thanks for clarifying this guys.

I do agree as well that it shouldn’t be a thing. I want to read reviews from people playing the same game as me.