Illinois Law Maker Wants To Ban GTA Games

You can look up the full story, I think it was from just a day or two ago. I heard about this and had to laugh. This dude is blaming GTA and other violent video games for the rise of carjacking and general criminal activity on video games which makes NO SENSE. If someone is at home playing GTA, what are the odds they are going to be out doing criminal activity? They will be too busy playing the damn game! The people who commit crimes the most are those least likely to own the game or even own a video game console. It is usually drug dealers, people living in poverty, and people who are desperate to make ends meet. Do you think these people are focusing on playing GTA? LOL

2 Likes

There’s always some hoo-hah lawmaker trying to make a name for themselves by targeting “violent video games” because it’s such an easy target that the media will give coverage on.

2 Likes

Something like this won’t stick so I wouldn’t worry about it. You can’t justify crime rates going up by blaming a video game when numerous studies exist that say the opposite. If anything, video games prevent crime in youth circles and prevent kids and young adults from getting into drugs and gang violence.

2 Likes

It usually doesn’t stick. Just politicians out to get some cheap media attention at the expense of a pop culture (been going on since comics were hit back int he 1950s to the Dungeons & Dragons scare in the 70s and the violent games in the 90s).

1 Like

This reminds me of the whole marijuana scare tactic the government tried years ago. Look how well that was handled. lol

There is more positive than negative benefits to gaming these days. I won’t say that there are no cases where a game didn’t influence crime/violence but for those cases, the person they influenced was already having mental/emotion anger issues to begin with.

2 Likes

Politicians are so detached from reality it is incredible.

I have a friend who is big into politics and anytime this topic gets brought up he goes on a huge rant over it because he, much like myself, grew up playing “violent video games” and neither one of us would hurt a fly.

2 Likes

That’s usually the case. In fact, it can be argued these violent video games act as a way of expressing those pent up emotions, rather than bottling them in, while providing a safe method of doing so.

2 Likes

I was going to say this very thing. I grew up watching South Park, watching horror movies, listening to rap, and playing Mortal Kombat. You know what I can’t stand? Fighting and violence IRL. I can’t even bring myself to enjoy boxing or MMA because of how much I detest it.

2 Likes

Entertainment as a whole is LOADED with violence, sex, drugs, you name it. To single out video games as the core of the problem is laughable. If you blame one, you have to blame them all.

2 Likes

I just ignore this crap. Usually, when a politician starts saying this, they are just looking for an excuse or something to blame for them messing up. I don’t know a single person who played video games that were violent and became a criminal. I know a few of the opposite though, hardly ever played games and ended up in prison. Go figure.

2 Likes

I am glad you all think the same as I do, I mean I didn’t doubt this would be the case. I just think it is silly to say this kind of stuff in this day and age.

1 Like

Well, you have to consider that this is also the age where “cancel culture” (whatever that means) is being used and abused. There are a significant number of loud and overly sensitive individuals out there that get attention.

1 Like

I wish people would stop acting like Twitter is real life. It is filled with Tumblr type people now and they cause all the issues. They have no lives outside of crying and complaining about things that aren’t that serious. Like when something is serious, by all means take a stand and speak up but at this point 90% of the time these people are fighting an invisible war they often start in their own heads. It is like LARPing but worse.

1 Like