I wanted to make a thread for all things related to the next game. We know nothing about it right now so feel free to discuss the things you are hoping to see in the next game. There are rumors they might announce it this year which means it will likely drop in 2023.
I know there are rumors of some kind of trailer being shown this year. I would guess it won’t be until closer to summer but if they have a trailer ready, the game will likely come out next year. They would have to be close to done minus testing and whatnot if they are going to release a trailer. When did they do it for the last one and how soon after did GTA V release?
I think they showed the trailer a year before the release for the last one but I could be wrong. I guess we will have to wait and see about that.
I am fine with anything new they want to try with the story or the characters. Having a female character even, sure why not. But I just hope that the online end gets sorted and they learn from their mistakes with the last one because that game has been ruined.
I am hoping they focus more on the online end too and making it so people can’t use mods or hacks online. Someone on another forum mentioned something that I think makes the most sense. Release two different versions. Like have the story be $40 and have the online be $20 or split them even and say $30/$30. This way they can block everything on the online game and allow mods on the offline one.
I want them to go back to only playing as one protagonist. I wasn’t a big fan of playing as 3. I know a lot of people liked it but I felt it watered down the game in the long run.
I saw this:
And I think they are right. I don’t know how soon we will see any content for the game but I would guess they will at least start talking about it in the near future. If I had to predict it, I would say sometime in May.
My friend is hoping they do a new game in Vice City and expand the map to be bigger. I mean that was one of my favorite cities they have done so I would not be opposed to it.
I don’t know if I will be getting the next one. I kind of grew salty and tired of all the crap issues in GTA 5. The story was good, nothing spectacular but the online started with issues and all these years later still continued to have issues.
I thought about this too, like it was cool for what it was but I preferred just playing as one character. I felt like it was more fun and the focus allowed for the characters to really shine in the stories.
Based on the things that I have read online, the general feedback of having 3 antagonists is mixed. Some people loved it, others hated it, and then some didn’t care. I don’t know if it would bother me if they did it again, it depends on the story.
Yeah that is how I feel. Like it was cool for one game but I don’t want it to be the norm going forward. I prefer more focused storytelling in games.
I haven’t seen any actual news on the game in a while. I know they are good at keeping things secret so until they want us to know, we likely won’t know anything.
I found a rumors list. You guys can take it for what it is and discuss the topics of each one if you’d like. I am pulling this list from this article which was posted last year:
- The next GTA title has been in development since 2012, but production didn’t begin properly until 2015, but even then the team was focusing more on Red Dead Redemption 2.
- It’s another Rockstar Worldwide Production.
- Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
- Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro.
- Some linear missions take place in Liberty City, but it isn’t an open world (think Ludendorff in GTA 5).
- Game will balance realism and arcade and it won’t be as realistic as Red Dead Redemption 2.
- One playable protagonist: male, not female, despite supposed leaks.
- Set in 1970s-1980s.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named “Ricardo”. Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities.
- There will also be a giant prison which will play a part in the game.
- Will feature a ‘chapter’ system similar to a Tarantino flick or Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Weather is a heavy focus (hurricanes, floods, etc).
- Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy.
- Heavily inspired by Netflix’s Narcos.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack.
- A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. Think the GTA Online system and dial it up to 10.
- You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket, like Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Your personal vehicle will be like your horse saddle in Red Dead Redemption 2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. You also store your body armour in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts, very immersive, like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you’re in South America, don’t expect to hear much English. Vice City however is a mix of everything, but mostly English.
- Last bit of narrative info, it will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc.
- Next-gen only, not PS4 or Xbox One [aka PS5 and Xbox Project Scarlett].
- GTA 6 is now their primary focus, alongside another title (which might be Bully 2).
- Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
- No ETA on a release date.
And here’s the leaks from Fireden, edited for clarity too:
- The game is set in modern-day Liberty City.
- The beginning of the game is reminiscent of The Wire.
- Police officers are trying to crack down on a gang/drug ring based around a nightclub.
- There are four main characters, two police and two gang members.
- The plot then twists and goes to upstate New York, where it becomes more crime noir, think Ozark and Breaking Bad.
- It will have twice the amount of dialogue as GTA 5 and a really crazy plot twist.
- The main storyline splits after a while, the criminal side has sort of a sandbox build-a-crime-empire thing (Fallout 4 meets the Sims), while the police side is more of a traditional action game with a little twist of LA Noire.
- Earliest release is holiday 2021, but I would guess later, 2022 or 2023.
That is very appealing to me. If true, that would really set the stage for the game in my book. I mean most of what I play and watch is set in a different time and I really enjoy it. I think it can be a fun experience to get away from the modern-day mess. Also, based on some ads they had in the past, this would make sense and is the most believable.
Vice City making a comeback would be cool. Would like to see it with updated graphics and a different look. What year did that last game in Vice take place?
A huge influx of players is happening on GTA 5 because people are expecting to see a trailer real soon for the next game. I am not so sure though.
So the map will extend from Vice City into a South American area? Or will we actually be able to fly planes to new areas and have two maps to play on?
That is quite the rumor list. I can’t say that I believe most of it. Some of it seems a bit odd and doesn’t really match up with what they are more focused on now. I could be wrong.
I remember reading a rumors list for RDR2 and GTA V and both were pretty close. They only missed a few things so I wouldn’t throw it out the window just yet. I am sure, because the list is so long, some of the rumors will not be accurate but I think the basis of the game is probably right.