Dungeons and Dragons Online 15 years!

It’s fallen from its numbers from waaaaaaay back in 2006, but it’s still got a solid population. And it’s still better than Cryptic’s Neverwinter! 15 years is actually impressive, given how many MMOs from that time are officially dead (RIP Galaxies, City of Heroes, etc. ).

1 Like

Wow I forgot about this. I played it back in 2008 for a good few years. I can’t remember why I stopped playing it, likely just lost interest in my friends’ circle. I might check it out since it is 15 years old now. See what has changed since then.

1 Like

I didn’t even know this was still a thing. I remember it was a huge deal back in the mid to late '00s. I knew a few people would played the game religiously. I always preferred playing in person when I did play but I can understand why this is a better experience, especially today, for a lot of people.

1 Like

The graphics have certainly improved and there’s a 64 bit client now (though still old by today’s standards). The population is modest, but steady. But trolls are extremely rare and the community is quite welcoming. The gameplay is outstanding, probably one of the most versatile character creation and level customization to this day. I’m surprised most new MMOs coming out today still pale in comparison.

It’s a nice environment, not as toxic as WoW. And it feels like a cross between Elder Scrolls Online and Diablo 3. The character building is engrossing, even when playing casually. Leaves a lot of room for experimentation. And even if you gimp your character, the reincarnation system allows you to rebuild and improve it for continuous focus on a main. It’s a nice change of pace from more popular MMOs with vanilla builds.

I never played the online version and I don’t know why. Knowing this is still going and there aren’t a lot of trolls ruining the experience, I might give it a try. I played D&D in the early 00’s with some friends. We had a game every weekend and it would go for hours. I miss those days.

1 Like

I don’t remember the details but I heard that they ruined the game by making it too “woke friendly”. Something about the human race being able to do anything now or something. I think this was the game. I could be wrong. I never played D&D though but I am not surprised the online version is still a thing.

1 Like

The graphics are usually what I hear are preventing people from trying it. But if something like Valheim is fine, not really a dealbreaker. But there are a lot of things you can do when it comes to character builds and you can mess up and correct it later thanks to the Reincarnation mechanics.

That’s the tabletop 5th edition version. There were some rumblings about “race” being a thing in D&D, in terms of determining why certain ones are “evil” by default. Stereotypes like elves being “pretty”, dwarves being a parody of Scotsmen and Irish, Half-orcs being “ugly”, etc. etc.

Anyway, DDO was built on the 3.5 edition (early to mid 2000s version of the tabletop game), so it still more or less has its original “edge”. And in any case, it’s the only MMO I know so far where one of the raids is a MUSICAL PRESENTATION.