Do we need this many remakes and remasters of old games?

I feel like they are being overproduced these days. It is almost like the Hollywood effect has stepped into the gaming world. Making remakes and stuff people didn’t ask for. We just want new stories and enjoyable games. It almost feels like a cash grab when they do this.

I personally enjoy remakes when they are done right and done with care. I know some remakes are made to just get more money and as an easy draw, feeding off people’s nostalgia. I think most remakes don’t have this motive in mind though.

I’m going to go with if it’s a bad game that had potential, remake it. If it was good but could be improved on, a remake is reasonable. BUt, If it was perfect from the get go, leave it be.

For instance, Chrono Trigger is absolute perfection. And unless you get the all-star team of Asamiya, Sakaguchi, Horii, and the rest of the crew again, it should not be remade at all.

1 Like

There’s some that are genuine intentions made to present a truly masterful game to newer generations, or let developers deliver their intended vision that had been previously hindered by older-generation console hardware, but a vast majority of them are plainly obvious cash grabs.

The Crash & Spyro remasters are examples of great intentions, good product. For the most part they completely renew the original experience, and they especially care for the source material. A lot of remasters & remakes do not seem to care for this.

There are undoubtedly a lot of these remakes & remasters that are not done with appropriate intention, but I don’t think it means that “we dont need this many”. I think it’s more the problem that the majority of them ignore the source material.

As to the main post’s point “We just want new stories and enjoyable games”. There are plenty of games that, in my opinion, deserve the remake/remaster treatment to give them a second chance in the newer generations. The first three that come to mind being Drakan, Metal Arms, and Legacy of Kain. They each failed for their own reasons, but none of them failed for their core. Drakan under-performed in sales from not putting a lot of effort into advertising. Metal Arms under-performed in sales because the publisher didn’t see them as worth their time. Legacy of Kain failed due to way too many complications to list in one post. There are plenty of great experiences of old games out there that are being glossed over or lost to history. It’s my opinion that remakes & remasters should be focused on these kinds of titles as well. Especially now in a market where proper games are few and far between.

1 Like

I never understood remaking games that did well, same with movies. Like if everyone loves the original, leave it alone. I think games that tanked should be remade if there is something worth saving.

1 Like

Yeah we absolutely DO NOT need all these remasters and re-releases. Lazy devs again :frowning:

1 Like

I think there is a time and place for a remake. Just like movies, the gaming market is oversaturated in remakes today and while I do enjoy many of them, there is just too much. I want new games being made. If they focus mostly on remakes, we will have an endless loop of them.

1 Like

I am fine with them doing remakes but they should not rely on them. I don’t know if companies are making them because they have no good new ideas or what but it can be seen as a bit lazy.

1 Like

If the remake has a justifiable reason, then sure.

Games that they remake just to pocket money or because they are out of ideas for new games are the ones we need to skip on. Sometimes it can be a bit of both but I would much rather they went back to older games that flopped and figure out why and remake those.

1 Like

If they sell, it doesn’t matter. I know we can complain they make too many but they keep making them because enough people buy them. That is what it all boils down to.

1 Like

No, we don’t but like Fishbein said ^ if they sell, that is all that matters.

We complain about bad games, movies, music, shows and everything else but if they keep selling and people keep consuming, they will keep doing it.

1 Like