Considering getting into graphic design/arts for video game illustrations... Which program is best for this?

I have drawn and did art-related things from a young age and I have more free time now than before so I want to use this time to invest in something I would enjoy. I want to get back into drawing and focus more on video game design, graphics, and illustrations. I am just not sure which program to use for this. What would you recommend?

Most people will say PhotoShop. The reason being is because it is an all-in-one program where you not only have some of the best brushes, but you have access to creator made ones as well. If you don’t want to spend that much on a program or none at all, a few alternatives would be GIMP and Krita. I think they work best together, not separately though. GIMP is a scaled-down opensource version of PhotoShop without the bells and whistles so Krita can step in and fill in the gaps for some missing features and all while keeping things free.

2 Likes

If you want to be serious about it, Photoshop is the way to go. I can’t really recommend anything else having only used that program for digital art and edits.

1 Like

Affinity Photo might interest you since it is not a monthly subscription and is currently 50% off. You pay $25 for the license. Other programs charge monthly these days.

1 Like

I think it depends on what kind of art you will be creating and what your style is. You can get away with making some great stuff on opensource software if you can make use of the features and brushes.

1 Like

I don’t want a subsription or to pay for an expensive license, not right now anyways. I will give that Krita and Gimp combo a try. I see other people using it online or just using Krita even. That program seems to have a nice selection of brushes and Gimp appears to support custom ones.

1 Like

Those seem to be very solid options from what I have looked into. I hope it works out for you. I didn’t know gimp supported custom brushes either. Interesting. I thought PS was the only one.