Anyone else sick of "social media"?

I used to on the regular for a good number of years. I found it to be easy and simple and a way to talk to everyone from all my social circles in one place. Being a member on several forums, I enjoyed this aspect of social media. I hardly used Facebook but Twitter was my jam for a while. I deactivated my account on Facebook back in 2011 since I wasn’t using it. I stuck it out with Twitter since then but the last few years, I used it less and less. As of last night, I deactivated my account on there that I had since 2008. I am just fed up with the platform and what it has turned into. Everyone is so toxic and rage bated, it is pathetic. It is like being in a virtual high school. I am over it. I will stick to forums and forums only for online communication.

Anyone else sick of social media? I know I can’t be the only one.

1 Like

I still have accounts but I haven’t used them in years. I think social media is not the problem though, it is this toxic culture. This overly sensitive outrage culture that has taken over. People just out there looking for reasons to be offended. It is stupid.

3 Likes

I gave up using twitter back in December and don’t miss it! My only social media now is forums and discord/steam/(and maybe one day xfire too??)

1 Like

Yeah I stick to forums mostly. I occasionally go on reddit or 9gag but hardly ever interact. I just look at memes and funny videos. I will do youtube comments occasionally and go on discord a few times a week. I prefer forums. I was still using Twitter in 2019 and I was just getting so angry at the world. I just had to get rid of it.

1 Like

I mean it can be pretty bad but if you avoid trends and stick to your own circle, it is still useable without all the drama. The issue is that people who like to cause issues and be offended over everything have ruined most of the platform. I stopped using Twitter a year ago and stopped using Facebook outside of keeping in touch with family in other areas.

1 Like

Not a fan of how the platforms are run and managed so I don’t use them. I heard Bebo is making a comeback. Might give that one a go just to try it out. There needs to be more options. Facebook and Twitter dominating is not healthy.

1 Like

Agreed, and that’s probably why the Internet was less toxic in some parts (arguably) from the get-go. There were so many social media options several years back, that your odds of finding mass hordes of toxic people were a lot lower than they are today.

As it stands, I have a Twitter that I check the odd tweet with, and an FB that is primarily to keep contact with close friends/family if needed. Heavily debating about deleting my Twitter account at least. :thinking:

1 Like

I seldom use Twitter anymore. I stopped using Facebook when that news came out about Zuck selling people’s data back in 2012 I think it was. I was on Parler but that got shut down. Tried Gab… Not a fan. Everything is too political and stupid.

1 Like

Social media only became an issue when the whole woke culture took over. I am sick of it all. It has ruined so many aspects of enjoyment for me in life. I don’t bother using social media anymore before that is the home of it.

1 Like

I have heard this and tried it and still end up seeing spillover because someone I follow or talk to posts crap I just don’t care to see. I find it easier to just socialize on forums or using Discord.