$70 for a game?

The CEO behind GTA and the owner of Take-Two apparently said this last year and I must have missed it. The prices of games are going up and I can bet you other companies follow after them. It seems like a lot of money to spend on a single game. Heck, I think $60 is too much which is why I often wait until they go on sale for $45 or less. I rarely play games at their release. I just can’t afford it most of the time.

Do you think this price increase is justifiable?

1 Like

Games have been $60 new for a long time. I think since the mid to late 90s. Them increasing it now, considering technology is better and things are more expensive, it makes sense.

1 Like

Games have been $60 new for a long time. I think since the mid to late 90s

You either lived in a very rich part of the world or only owned an N64.

Most major-name games retailed for $30-50 for every non-Nintendo system, I can’t name a single game non-n64 that retailed for $60 before the ps2/xbox/gc generation; and even in that specific generation that was far from common.

The reason N64 games specifically were so expensive is because of their cartridge format. The cartridges themselves had to use these things called “ROM chips”, and they were not cheap. It’s also a huge factor of why the Playstation 1 was much more popular as 2000 approached.

2 Likes

Was going to mention that. N64 was considered a luxury console because of the cost of games back then. Games didn’t jump to $60 until Xbox One and PS3 I think.

1 Like

I don’t like that games cost $60 new but I can understand why they would start raising the cost. The games, when they do a good job, cost more and take longer to produce so AAA titles should be charging more but at the same time, I expect with a price increase, there is access to either free or very reasonably priced DLC. Getting $70 from someone and then asking for another $30 for DLC content is a bit extreme.

1 Like

If the cost of buying a game is too high, just don’t buy them. You can do a subscription and just play what you want these days without spending a lot. That is what my friend does. He plays LOADS of games but since he had his kid, he had to cut way back. This works great for him. I only don’t think this is worth it if you don’t intend on playing games monthly or continuously play the same game for months.

2 Likes

I agree about doing a sub if you don’t want to spend that much on games. I mostly play indie PC games these days so it doesn’t bother me but when I do buy a full game, it is worth it for me. I only ever buy maybe 3 or 4 titles a year.

1 Like

The price of games hasn’t changed for a while now so I think they are due to an increase. I don’t like that they are getting more expensive but I think it is justifiable because they take longer to make, bigger teams, and more money to produce.

1 Like

So from what I gather, no one likes the price increase but most are understanding of it. Yeah, I know there are sub options these days which is fine but I like to be able to go back and play a game anytime I want to be able to play multiple games from week to week when I have the time for it.

1 Like

Just buy the games when they are on sale or buy them used. I know it is easier to get better sales on PC vs console but you can still get physical games and can buy them used for like $15 cheaper.

1 Like

I am not bothered by the price. If I want a game enough, I will buy them new otherwise I wait for the price to come down. I am honestly surprised prices haven’t already gone up.

1 Like

Prices will always go up. Everything else has. Look at cell phones. The high-end phones used to be around $300 and now they are well over $1000.

There’s always a catch, be it subscription or digital download… You don’t have any control over the product you’re paying for at the end of the day.

Even then, I still sit here and say that with thousands of dollars poured into a damn steam account, with a good chunk of the games never actually played.

2 Likes

I have at least 10 games I bought on Steam and either only played once or never played. I have gotten games just because I thought a friend would and we’d play together and said friend never gets them. LOL

1 Like

I was going to mention this but not having actually done a paid sub service, I wasn’t entirely sure about it. I feel like you end up getting ripped off by most of them which is why I never considered i an option for me personally.

1 Like

Well I’d argue that most games are not worth it, but then this comes from the guys behind Red Dead, GTA V etc, those games are usually worth it, though he went full merchant on about it. I guess the norm is going to be high price, wait for discount, discount will be what the price is normally today, people will be happy and buy it at the current full price thinking they got a great deal.

Kinda like how it works with DLC and free games. They give you a free game (CK2) but then you got 100 dlcs for it lol. Basically a demo. People think they got a good deal.

2 Likes

I feel like in most cases, games are overpriced which is why I wait for sales or buy used. I don’t need to play a game bad enough to get it on release. I used to be that way but now I have bills and stuff that come first so I prioritize my spending.

3 Likes

I think the continued price hikes will drive more incentive for those who are tight on cash to pirate more.

Either that or adopt a more frugal buying strategy by waiting for sales or wait for used copies to hit the market (if physical media still exists)

On the other hand, this might be a ploy to drive sales into a subscription model, where you have even less rights about owning a copy of the product.

1 Like